Tuesday, May 22, 2012

For The Love of Music

One of my students recently connected me with a woman who has some very unique body art.
Because I have done quite a bit of figure photography and because I'm interested in expressive and creative people, my student felt I might find an opportunity to combine those interests in one shoot.

Karen lost her father to cancer in 2006 and felt a desire to honour him in some special way. She and he both loved music, so Karen found the sheet music for her father's favourite tune.........."Somewhere Over The Rainbow, It's a Wonderful World", and had the music tattooed over her entire body.


It took many sessions and a great deal of time and patience and love, and when it was complete she became the flowing movement of the music that was so precious to her father.

It's difficult not to see the designs running over Karen's body whenever she's out and enjoying life, so it inspires many conversations and discussions about family and commitment, and I'm sure also about cancer.


Cancer has affected and and been an intrusion into just about every life I know. However we each express our losses or loves, we should all be sure to support cancer research and treatments centres.
Where I live on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada, please contact http://www.bccancerfoundation.com/

3 comments:

  1. These are absolutely gorgeous shots. You handle figure photography so gracefully.
    What a fabulous way to commemorate her father and their relationship. I can only imagine how painful some of those tattoo segments were, though. Eep!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Incredibly lovely and touching pieces. Your niece is a great promoter too.

    ReplyDelete