Friday, July 12, 2013

Victoria Pride Parade

I went downtown to check out the local Pride parade this past weekend. Pride parades world-wide have a reputation for being pretty outrageous, colourful and kinda tasteless, but Victoria's a pretty

 
small town, so it doesn't seem to reach the notoriety of other locations. I have heard that the Pride parade on Salt Spring Island gets the crowd involved, though.


I've been recultivating my skills at shooting street shots of people and events. If you check back a few postings on this BLOG you can see some of my people/street shots from Paris awhile back (Shooting from the Heart, or Hip, or Somewhere).                                                                                                                    
 
       So a Pride parade seemed like a prime event to get some shots of people at their most demonstrative, or colourful. But then, I prefer to shoot these kinda things in black & white.

 
While Pride parades encourage people to wear colour and costumes I feel that the personalities and expressions and theatre of it all can be best captured where the distraction of real colours has been eliminated.
 

There is a timeless quality to black & white and the content becomes the strength of the image when colour is eliminated or reduced.
 
I'll be hanging some of my street shots taken in black and white in Mexico a few months back, in Photosynthesis 2013 www.photosyn.ca on Salt Spring Island @ ArtSpring, August 26 to September 15, 2013. I'll post a few images from that show in a BLOG posting a bit later.

No comments:

Post a Comment